Sponsored links

Search in my blog

Custom Search

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi on flowering, repotted!






Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi orchid species, detail of flowers
Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi
orchid species, detail of flowers
(picture of 2 September 2012)

Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi, orchid species with several aerial roots
Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi
orchid species,
just purchased with several aerial roots
I needed to ask something about some problems with the first plants living inside the new mini orchidarium just set up and  buy some sphagnum-moss, so I went to my trusted orchid seller, Orchids & More. Of course if you go there you must do at least a walk in the greenhouses! As always not enough time to see everything and also request information, but my attention was caught by the beautiful flowers of a Phalaenopsis-Cornu Cervi, a large mature plant with three stalks in bloom!


The plant has some problems on the leaves but was treated with systemic fungicides, growth of the new leaf is clean so the fungus maybe was stopped. The roots thought to grow all out of the pot so the plant is not stable and may fall down by the weight of the leaves and the branches.
The seller agrees, a repotting is urgent!
Yes, but how?


First of all I decided not to wait the end of the flowering, that could be advisable in the most of cases, because inside the clear pot I can see only one root and the arial roots would not survive long in the too dry air of my flat. Once out of pot I looked well and there was not so much to be cutted, only some old root was over dry and empty.
No rots!


Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi out of the pot, roots detail
Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi
orchid speciesroots situation
It took me a little time to decide how to fix it, because the roots are almost all aireal I have even thought to mount it, but it is a very large plant and I don't have the moisture it needs in my house, until I will have a giant un'orchidarium I must avoid large mounts. So, in a pot!


The pot size was necessarily larger than the former to be able to put in all the roots, I chose one clear, 15 cm in diameter, well drilled. I needed a   very airy potting mixture so I put bark, medium and large size, with a little moss in tufts, is very draining but also retains some moisture, we'll see if I can get the roots happy inside it!
To convince the roots to bend I have previously wetted but even so a few were broken, it was inevitable, and also the seller told me so; patience, healthy roots are many and the plant should not be affected.



Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi repotted, detail of the environment, medium-large bark and sphagnum moss
Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi, orchid species, repotting,
detail of the environment, medium-large bark and sphagnum moss


Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi orchid species on flowering,  ultimate repotting into medium-large bark and sphagnum moss
Phalaenopsis Cornu-Cervi
orchid species on flowering,
 ultimate repotting into medium-large bark and sphagnum moss
(picture of 2 September 2012)


Once you have completed the whole process of repotting it seems even more beautiful!
I love it, the stems continue to grow and have opened two buds!



In the same visit to the greenhouse I bought also some seedlings of other orchids:
a pot of Phalaenopsis Schilleriana (read the post)
and one with a tiny Phalaenopsis Stuartiana (read the post).

No comments:

Post a Comment